Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Taking the time to stop and stare


One of the problems I have found with travel photography is that, if I’m not careful, I can spend more time looking through the viewfinder than actually being truly present in a place.

So I have now taken to doing something I used to do years ago. I bring a sketchbook with me, and try to take some time out to draw something of interest on my travels. On a recent day trip to the Bavarian town of Augsburg, I did this little illustration of the “Rathaus” (town hall).  I use pen because, unlike pencil, it means you just have to live with your mistakes and get on with the drawing, so it’s much quicker. I also think the inevitable imperfections from having to make permanent marks add character.  It took about an hour and certainly made me appreciate the intricacies of German 17th century architecture!



Alternatively, if you don’t have the time for a sketch, sometimes just turning around with your camera can provide you with a new perspective on a scene…


1 comment:

  1. Love this sketch! Great post... and so true about only ending up looking through the camera...

    ReplyDelete